76 E.R. Junctions

On Boxing Day, thirty years ago, an inspection of the rump of the Teign Valley branch was made while there were no trains running.

The Teign Valley Branch junction is often referred to as City Basin, when it is properly Exeter Railway. What it would have been had the E.R. kept its original Exeter, Teign Valley & Chagford title is not known.

The misnomer can be understood because the box which controlled both junctions, City Basin Junction, was closer to the Teign Valley line; it had to be so that the signalman could put out and retrieve electric train staffs. In 1962, a new cedar-clad box, Exeter City Basin, was built in the fork of Exeter Railway Junction. After City Basin Branch closed, the box was left with one junction.

N.B. Trespassing on the railway is a criminal offence. No one should enter railway property without permission.

This is not far from where the last photograph in the gallery above was taken. The train is approaching the main line and the Fireman has just dropped the single line staff hoop onto the “horn.”
Copyright: Roger Joanes. Shared under Creative Commons. +
From the former Down Teign Valley line, the course of Canal Branch can be seen. It passed beneath the main line bridge just right of centre and connected with the City Basin Branch. Kings Asphalt’s siding lay to the right of the building at centre, which is now used as a workshop by South West Crane Hire. A box van body lies at bottom right. The city is positioned by the south tower and face of the Cathedral of St. Peter.

The railway’s friend, Richard Holladay, was fortunate in finding that his family firm’s works had been amply photographed from the air. Coincidentally, in capturing Garton & King’s premises, all the nearby railway features were usefully revealed as well.

All the images below were taken in 1947, except the first one which is dated 1933, before the new cattle market was built.

In this 1965 aerial view, the rail-served distribution warehouse built on the site of Alphington Road Goods Yard can be seen at top right. Next door is Claridge’s timber yard. Exeter Railway Junction, City Basin Junction, Canal Branch and Basin Branch can all be seen.
The 1905 river bridge is at top left, with Shilhay, downstream, still very much an industrial area.
St. Thomas Station is seen with its overall roof and long platforms, partly cantilevered off the viaduct.
Cowick Street passes through the centre of the view, with St. Thomas Leisure Ground, opened in 1891 for Queen Victoria’s jubilee, to the left and the county rugby ground and its speedway track to the right. A row of shops is under construction which would include the Sawyer’s Arms, opened in 1966.
The scout’s childhood home in School Road is also in the picture. +
Taken from Claridge’s, Alphington Road Goods Yard and its shed is seen beyond the fence. Above it is the main line, with the bridge over Alphington Road at far left.

Many more photographs of the Teign Valley Branch and this area can be found in No. 48.

This entry was posted in Uncategorised. Bookmark the permalink.